Monday 16 May 2011

Experimentation Reflections...

Even though the other post I did about experimentation was the main bulk of what I had been doing in the workshop, I have also been experimenting on different things throughout this project. I have not included everything under the label 'Experimentation' as what experimenting I have been doing is a bit all over the place and is mostly in my sketchbook. 
Experimentation has taken place throughout this project for me as I begun experimenting with different design ideas, shapes and colours and that has continued into making things in 3D. By having tutorials, peer feedback and just by working through problems that have arisen myself, I have discovered that experimenting is very important and can bring up issues or even positive things that I would not have expected. 
The experimentation in the workshop has been very up and down for me as it took me ages (and I mean AGES) to first get the correct shape of my Kraken head. I had to keep adding and taking away areas of my clay mould and from that I would vac-form and make in plaster. Then it still would not be right so I would build it again. All this was very tedious and I have to admit towards the end I just wanted to smash it up. BUT finally I got it right, and both sides matched and I was so happy...
Then the worst happened... As I had left it to try over the easter break one of the technicians in the workshop threw both final casts away so this meant I had to start the whole process again. I could do it alot faster this time as I knew the materials and how the equipment worked but it was the trying to match the two half heads in shape and size. This was as difficult as I had found it the first time round and because I had to much other stuff to be working on and preparing for my workshops ect, that the two halves are unfortunately different. This is very annoying but there is nothing else I could do taking time and everything else into consideration.
However generally I feel I have had a very positive experience in the workshop and in all of my experimenting. I know longer feel nervous or apprehensive about going into the workshops and now I just feel (which is not really positive but) that something is always bound to go wrong, know matter how hard I try so I might as well not moan about it and just get on with it.    

No comments:

Post a Comment