Tuesday 15 March 2011

Research and Initial Design Ideas

After choosing my theme I decided that 'Mythological Sea Creatures' in general was to wide of spectrum to base a costume on. I looked through a lot of images and information on a number of different creatures before deciding on a certain few that I felt inspired me most and which I thought young children would relate to and want to wear as a costume.

I started putting my sketchbook together with imagery and information, focusing on The Kraken, The Mermaid, The Loch Ness Monster and The Sea Serpant. I chose these four as they are all featured in films or cartoons, and are the ones I thought young children would know the most about. They also had interesting body shapes which I thought could be modified into a carnival costume. Alongside the imagery and information in the sketchbook I started sketching out initial sketches and designs to see what shapes I could use on the body to create the costume.

The Kraken
(Kraken1)
- Looking at the shapes of the Kraken and how it could be applied to the body. 
- Mask including a broken boat 
- I decided would be to complicated to make en masse. 




(Kraken2)
- Different shapes of tentacles/how it would sit on the mask
- Thinking about putting a mask on a pole for the child to hold and covering the child with a sheer fabric.
- I decided this might be to heavy/claustrophobic for a young child.




(Kraken3)
- Over the head design based on images of the Kraken.
- I really like this idea, as I think it is very effective as a carnival costume, however I think it may be difficult to construct.






(Kraken4)
- Kraken head and body attached on a pole and platform.
- Would be held by the child.
- String, rope and fabric would cover the child instead of a full sheet of fabric.
- I think this idea is the most successful so far and I will pitch this idea to Adele at the tutorial.





(Kraken5)
- I started developing my Kraken idea my looking at different shapes of tentacles and how they could be modified and decorated. I preferred the the sharp spiky looking tentacles compared to the curvy ones as I think it is more representative of the creature I am trying to create.








(Kraken6)
- I looked at my designs and decided to start developing on what I thought was my most successful idea (Kraken4). I thought about how the Kraken could work and be carried. I thought the idea of having the Kraken on top of an umbrella or a platform of some sort. However this design would mean the children would not be able to use their hands and it could also be to heavy for them to carry for the whole procession.


The Mermaid
(Mermaid1)
- Looking at the Mermaid shape and information about the creature.
- Thinking about the mermaid tail and how I could make it textural and interesting.








(Mermaid2)
-This is one design I did in my sketchbook which was inspired by Mermaids.
- I started thinking about construction and how I could apply the mermaid style into a costume for children.
- I think this is my most successful mermaid design and I think when made it could be really successful, however I do not think it is appropriate for young children and I could not think of a way I could adapt it so boys would be comfortable in it.






I did do other designs and sketches based on mermaids in my sketchbook but I did not think they were very successful for carnival costumes, therefore I decided not to put them in my blog.


The Loch Ness Monster
(LochNessMonster1)
-I started looking at the shape of the Loch Ness Monster and the legends behind the creature.
- I also thought about decorative techniques which the children could do to the figure, such as potato stamping and applying beads and glitter.  







(LochNessMonster2)
- Thinking about how a Loch Ness Monster costume could be applied to the body.
- The figure would sit on the back and it would strap around the waist and across the chest.
-Even though I do like this idea I do not think it is as strong and effective as some of my previous ideas.


There are a few other designs for the Loch Ness Monster in my sketchbook, but I personally thought I could not make this idea work.


The Sea Serpant
(SeaSerpant1)
- Looking at the shape of the sea serpant and how I could use this to inspire a carnival costume.
- I thought about making a Chinese dragon type standard, which could be just one big thing that the whole class could work on instead of separate costumes.
-I decided this idea may be a bit over ambitious to do with young children and also I would not be able to work on it after between lessons as I would have no way to transport it from Bournemouth to Weymouth and back.




(SeaSerpant2)
- Separate costumes but still inspired by the sea serpant.
- This is one of my favorite designs as I could see this working as a group of costumes together, however I think it would be very difficult to construct.








Looking back through all my initial research, designs and sketches I am mostly excited and inspired by the Kraken idea. I have thought about it in more detail than the other 'creatures' and even thought of different design variations I could work on.
I will take my initial designs to my tutorial to see which ideas Adele prefers. I would like to get her opinion on which she thinks would be the most effective in the carnival and the most suitable for young children.
As I am usually a maker, I am really enjoying the design process and I am enjoying working in a sketchbook and getting all my ideas down visually. 

No comments:

Post a Comment