Friday 20 May 2011

Making my prototype and the final costumes...

The prototype I have made for hand in is an early mock up of how I will make my costumes. I did not have the time or money to make them to the standard the real ones are going to be. 


The Collar
This is the prototype of the collar. It is not as well made or as full as  the real ones are going to be  but  you get the idea  of how it is going to look.
This is one of the collars that will be used in the  carnival.  The children will be wearing purple tie dye t-shirts underneath  which I feel will look really effective.
The Heads

To make the heads I had to vac-form the moulds I made from plasterzote.  I also formed an eye on each sheet as well to attach to the Kraken heads at a later date.

I cut the shapes of the heads and added a spiky center line  to make  the halves easier to attach and  to aid the design.  However I do not think the shape of the spikes are effective enough so on the heads being used in the carnival I will re think the shape of the spikes.

This is the revised shape of my Kraken heads. I think this shape  works much better than the one  I did on the original  prototype.
These are some of the Kraken half heads. You can see the shape of the spikes are much more effective.
Image of the eyes cut from the plasterzote
Plasterzote waste 
This is how the heads will be decorated. The children will decorate the heads with poster paint, puff binder and cable ties.   I would also like to use split pins to decorate the heads but they are not on my prototype as the school are providing those.
Overall I am really pleased with the way my costumes are going to turn out. My prototype is not as successful as I would like it to be but through trial and error I think the actual costumes will look great. However I think that even though the prototype is not that reflective of the actual costumes I think you can get the general idea of how it is going to look. I wish I would have made the prototype look better for hand in but I thought my time has been better spent making the actual costumes and I did not have the funds to keep re creating the prototype. 

No comments:

Post a Comment